Monday 8 February 2010

Trying to run before I can walk

Since my last appointment with my Neurologist my vision and coordination have put me off from typing.

My vision becomes double after around ten minutes and a small email or message takes me that amount of time. My fingers hit the wrong keys and I am constantly correcting mistakes…

Walking is also becoming a problem and I find I have to grab the nearest support for balance.

The weaning off of the steroids is in full flow now and I am down from 64mg Medrol to 20mg and boy do I feel the difference. The steroids have really helped me function over the last few months.

I really hope that the fluid in my brain absorbs quickly and all balance and coordination return to normal ASAP.

My Neurologist tried to explain to me that I had to learn to walk before I could run again…Leigh being Leigh thought that everything would just return to normal far sooner and that I could reintegrate back to work.

The radiotherapy continues to work even though the treatment has finished and will continue for the next few months. Luckily for me the only visible signs of the treatment were hair loss and dry skin on my scalp and for head. Physically I have to have rest between exertion and a few naps now and again.

The advice I have to follow is to remain home for a further three months until my next MRI scan. In that time I am banned from driving because of a risk of epilepsy due to the fluid in pockets of the brain.

I can however get back to the gym which I am happy about and can have gentle walks on the tread mill or ride a bike and lift the lightest weights. Build up my strength gradually and to listen to my body and not push things.

Reading just is not an option at the moment and makes me feel sick after a while so I am becoming hooked to daytime soaps…..

Have to try desperately not to fall into a dip though and stimulate myself in other ways….

No comments: